View Single Post
Old 06-16-2002, 08:42 AM

Default Re: Mastering singles for radio with new Waves Mastering suite.

Thanks everyone for answering. Well, I like getting feedback of any kind so feel free to post any opinions you would like, creative or technical. However, my focus in this thread is that I am interested in opinions on how to best use of the new Waves Master bundle on a single audio track (Linear Phase EQ, Multiband Comp, and L2 Limiter). One mastering engineer told me he doesn't use EQ at all during mastering because tonal balance issues should be fixed in the mix. However, he did say multi-band compression is usually a must. But, I would think compression issues should be fixed in the mix as well. So, I don't know. I can't find any decent books on mastering. Any suggestions? Everyone is SO secretive so they don't give away "their" signature sound. It is my understanding that mastering is the process of making the mix sound good on all mediums. You think this would be a more scientific process that writing, recording, and mixing a song but since I know very little about it maybe not.

Ok, how about this then. When mastering a single audio track:

1) What tools do Mastering Engineers commonly use and for what purpose?

2) What are common problems that Mastering Engineers typically solve? If anyone has any examples that would be nice.

3) From my understanding, it doesn't seem Mastering Engineers have much control over fixing a song. So, why are fresh ears so important? Wouldn't it be smarter maybe to have a separate mixer with fresh ears instead of a mastering engineer? A lot of musicians I like do their own mixing which I think give them their sound. Or possibly, have your mixer also be the mastering engineer? Or are we talking about two entirely different things here.

If anyone has any suggestions for books or anything where I can get more knowledge on Mastering I would really appreciate it.

I've talked to other Mastering Engineers and they say they had a hard time learning as well because no one will really shed some light on the subject and they had to learn through experience. I know this is a necessary, but experience with education (like a book to follow) would be nice.

Thanks.

Monty