View Single Post
Old 06-07-2021, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Question regarding both HDX and Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
I had been looking at the Carbon, or possibly an HDX card. I had some questions about the Carbon, but realized that possibly the same question would apply about HDX.

I have never used an HDX or TDM system, always native. I went from a 003 to a USB interface, to HD Native/Omni. I have always been fine with a buffer of 64 for recording, regardless of what interface it was.

I was hoping to find out more specifically how bad native latency is for Carbon, being AVB. I guess my main concern is for using native amp sims, and also using a native reverb on an aux track. I know they mention you just have a little naturally occuring pre-delay that way, but does that still work ok? Has anyone tried it that way? Or have you tried using a native amp sim?

The reason I also mention HDX, is I realized that some of these issues could also be the case with HDX. I've never bothered to find out how HDX handles trying to record with a native amp sim, or using a native reverb on an aux. Is that doable on HDX?

The last question is along the same lines, regarding virtual instruments. Again, is that doable on HDX or Carbon?

I guess I'm trying to find out how much of any of these issues has to do with these being DSP systems in general, vs. specifically Carbon being AVB.
For natively monitired audio the latency is about 17ms at 48kHz with buffer of 256. Virtual Instruments are around 9ms at that same buffer.

If you've always been happy with 64 buffer with various interfaces, then you've always been using 6-10ms round trip latency for audio and about 5ms for VIs.

If that's the case, you'll be thrilled with the low latency performance for audio with HDX or Carbon. HDX will provide HIGHER latency for audio, but lower for virtual instruments than Carbon.

If VI latency is your focus go with something different.