View Single Post
Old 10-05-2002, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Bass Tracks out of phase

Quote:
If one of two identical signals are shifted in phase by 180 degrees(phase reversed), there will be absolutey no shift in time.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Have i said that it would?,
If that would be the case that one of the tracks is of opposite polarity Yes you should flip polarity ("phase reverse") on one track to make both tracks positive or negative, preferbly postive. BUT!! in the case of combining a DI signal and a Mic'ed signal you would still be out of phase to some degree due to the Mic track is slightly delayed to the DI track. So you would need to time/phase-align the tracks to get them in perfect phase. So..obviously timealignment affects phase.
Out of phase doesnt mean that your always 180degrees off, it can be anywhere between 0-180degrees. So flipping polarity doesnt automatically make you in phase.

Quote:
This has been discussed to death the past few weeks, and if you don't get it you should consider another career or hobby..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">hey!..take it easy buddy, no need for personal attacks here. If you have doubts in my abbilities as an engineer then fine i really dont care. I know that youre a knowledgeble guy and has contributed alot this forum, We are both basically giving the same solution to this problem but is describing it in different ways. But you choose to be ignorant.

Quote:
The example in question regards two two distinctive principles. First, phase alignment. either both tracks are phased positive, negative, or one of each. We correct the negative one..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I would call that matching polarity, as that is what you do. Phase aligning is when you alter the phase relationship between two singals of the same source by moving them in time relative to eachother. Theres a little gadget that does this in the analog world called Little Labs IBP. http://www.littlelabs.com/ibp.html
Check that site out there's a very informative description there. Basically what it does is delaying the DI signal by a user set parameter to the mic signal, and thus you can variably change the phase relationship between the two signals. Thats exactly what we do when we time/phase align tracks in the digital world,.

Quote:
Now we align the two positively phased tracks so they are identical.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The waveforms will most likely never look exactly the same between a DI signal and a Mic'ed Cab signal. Therefore time/phase aligning the tracks is hard to do by just looking at the waveforms, A good place to begin is to match the start of sound in the waveforms, But you could just aswell move the tracks in real time and listen for when the tracks sound the fattest together and you would probably be pretty close to be absolute in-phase.

/mike