View Single Post
Old 03-01-2014, 07:17 AM

Default Re: PT11 Hui and Motu Traveler not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundboy35 View Post
Hmmm, Control Universal and HUI are 2 different devices. Which do you have? If you have a HUI, you need to connect it via MIDI ports to your Traveler in and out and the Traveler to your computer via USB I assume? You might also need a driver for Pro Tools to see the Traveler's MIDI ports (not 100% on that)
Seems to be a little bit of confusion here...

We are talking about 3 different things:
  • Devices - Mackie Control Universal Pro (and it's predecessor) are "boxes" that you put on a desk (or wherever) and use to control software.
  • Control Surface Protocols - Within the context of this discussion there are two: MCU and HUI. HUI was written by Digidesign and Mackie jointly, has a somewhat limited feature set, but is the only third-party protocol supported by Pro Tools. MCU (or Mackie Control Universal...see the confusion?) was written by Mackie, has a larger feature set than HUI, and is supported by every DAW except Pro Tools (many of the other DAWs also support HUI).
  • MIDI Protocols (both communication and connection). The MIDI communication protocol is just a set of 1's and 0's that two (or more) devices use to communicate among themselves, and is not really germane to this discussion. As far as the MIDI connection protocols goes, I 'splained it several times already in this forum, so just do a search on here for my name and MIDI and messages within the last year to learn about USB and 5-pin DIN and coat hangers (seriously).
None of this stuff is complicated, but you do have to learn about it...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh