View Single Post
Old 12-01-2020, 04:32 AM

Default Re: Carbon DSP Plug-Ins Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
I imagine Carbon works fine with an AVB switch, they just don't want to support it. If someone wants to lend me one I'll test with mine

SoundGrid is not AVB (otherwise, the SoundGrid BR1 would not exist).
@Luke I'm sure you're right, supporting third party devices is something that no company wants to commit to. Avid has had years of testing AVB with live shows in the S6L and alike so it's highly unlikely that it won't work. I have Carbon, I tried it with a Presonus AVB switch (not mine) - no problem at all.

I got it because I work with loads of VI's running, the problem happens when I want to do a live overdub, dammit. Previously I would either freeze a gazillion tracks and go get coffee while it did it, or bounce a stereo sub session, now I click a lightning bolt and it's as close to a bare wire as I can get. I've lived with mild latency for so long that it's eye opening to remember what HDX feels like ( I had to dump HDXs and go Native because of the horrendous problems with VIs).

Carbon sounds really good, I've done direct comparisons to MTRX Studio and Red4 and 8 Pres here, I think I prefer the MTRX but it's very close, I definitely prefer Carbon to the Reds - it's not close at all. The impedance options do make Carbon a better instrument recording box to MTRX though.

If DSP power is important to you, then I'd wait for what they said in the presentation, and stick with HDX. I don't really care about the actual power of the DSP, it's useful for compressors and EQs while recording, but whether I use my Mac Pro or a laptop, the computer has way more native power than an HDX3, the hybrid solution is excellent for me. For me, similar sound to MTRX Studio, sub mS recording with HDX level DSP, sub mS headphone low latency for 4 sets and no need for digilink cables all over the shop. I can chuck this in the back room if I need if…
… they build proper screen remote.