View Single Post
Old 01-23-2002, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Allen And Friends? Performance Tweaks?

Hey Jason,
Here are what made the biggest differences in my system.
1.Promise ATA100 TX2 controller card with system drive on Port A, audio on Port B. Making sure that the ribbon cables on the Promise controller were ATA100. Gave me 4 more Aux. Tracks. on DAVEC test.

2.Dumping the Startup Group Items by going into Start/Run/typing msconfig/choosing selective startup, unselecting "Load Startup Group Items", rebooting, checking on don't show this again in pop up window. You can also just go into Startup tab and unselect everything except Systray. Should give you 95-98% resources free on bootup.

3. Setting system to Network Server in My Computer/Properties/Performance/File System

4. Using 512MB of DDR ram PC2100 by Micron
I've heard that the Corsair may even be better for best performance. I've not tried it yet.

5. Using only ATA100 7200 drives from IBM 60GXP series.

7. Tweaking IRQs so that Digi is on its own at IRQ 9 or 10. This really is key!!

8. I really believe that in the T-bird lineup that their are differences in performance between the AXIA, and other cores. XP should all be the same.

9. Setting CPU usage in PTLE to 85%

10. Setting bios to Turbo mode on the newer A7M266 and A7V266E. Need to use Normal mode in some older Asus boards like the A7V and A7V133 series.

11. Defraging hard drives weekly

I'd recommend anyone with the newer VIA motherboards A7V266 or A7V266E using the Promise controllers to download that VIA patch that I put on the DUC. Has improved hard drive performances up to 40% on these chipsets.

Good luck everyone.
Allen [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]