View Single Post
Old 08-10-2022, 06:24 PM

Default Advice On Mac OS update from 10.15.7 --- or not

In 2021 I purchased two Macs: one for video, one for music, but due to workflow there is a little overlap. I currently run PT 2021.3 --- I had a bit of a major hassle several months ago which was finally resolved by giving Avid more money but in the process, I had a tech support person tell me that even though it says on paper that I should be able to update, to just stick with 2021 as long as I'm on macOS Catalina. I'm on 10.15.7 -- it's stable!

That said, my BlackMagic video equipment has a bunch of software updates and the minimum OS requires me to go to at least BigSur if I am to update. For a variety of reasons, I don't really want to....because I'm paranoid of complications due to basically a lack of time. Right now I am in-between projects so it's sort of now or not at all for another long time.

When I check the Avid page, it says about Big Sur: "Our testing has shown that certain configurations may result in a higher incidence of playback errors. This is particularly prevalent with older MacBook Pros" but it doesn't say what older even is. I'm on:

MacBook Pro, 2019
2.4 GHz 8-core i9
32GB 2667 MHz DDR4

I checked the release notes for 2022.7 and Avid still says the same thing pertaining to Big Sur/Monterey.

Short version -- what do smarter people than myself suggest? Stick with the status quo and be happy or take a chance getting miserable over an OS update?