View Single Post
Old 08-18-2007, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Delay Compensation/Laybacks

Quote:
Hef,
If you are using Delay comp and then recording to a track you must control+apple+click on the delay comp box on the rec track in the mix window to disable protools from turning off delay comp for that track. This turns the writing blue. When you rec enable a track the Delay comp is disabled for that track that is why you are getting different readings. When you disable it then delay comp is always on, on that track so everything should line up correctly.
Hi mate,

I never had to do the control-apple-click thing on the recorded tracks, and my recorded files lines up visually fine with the original regions. (ie. when i compare the waveform of the recorded sync beep to the one that it was bussed from, they looks visually aligned when i ZOOM IN all the way)

What should I look out for, to make sure that it is correct?

All my regions are bussed to Aux busses according to the stem groups they belong to (ie. VO, Dialog, Music, FX) and then goes into a full mix audio track and also the individual stem's audio track simultaneously. There are also Master Faders with their own L2 inserted to control all the individual stem's main group.

Volume automation, however, is done on the stem group's Aux buss.

I set Delay Compensation to Long.

There is also a stereo Audio track that consists of the 1kHz reference tones and sync beeps, and this track is also bussed through an Aux buss and then fed into the individual stem's recorded tracks.

Some jobs require two tones (ie. 1khz for the Ch1/2 and 400Hz on 3/4 on the Digibeta), so for these, I would have another set of tones track.

During Editing and final mix, I would usually have an Aux track (Stereo) that have the same buss inputs as the Fullmix track, and i'll monitor the mixes through it. It's output goes to Pro Tools main outs (ie. A1/A2 on most setups)

Sometimes, i'll just turn on input monitoring (The Green "i") in the Fullmix track and bypass this Aux track and monitor through this track instead.

Also, if the job requires DA88s, i will usually record the stems as tracks first (Delay Compensation On), and then import these stems into a new session, and turn off delay compensation when i layback to DA88s.

There should be a way to simultaneously buss those tracks that needs to be undipped for DA88s, so that we could record ALL the components (Fullmix, Mix minus Narration, Music undipped, FX undipped, VO/Narration & Dialog/Interviews) at one go.

But sometimes i need to bring the mix to my LE rig in room B, i would usually limit the total busses used to 16, because room B is still on an 001

So, are my routings correct?

Thanks & Regards,
[Charles]