View Single Post
Old 05-09-2021, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Seeking Macbook Pro Buy Advice From Geniuses :-), (plz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Sorry, didn't see this thread.....

If you buy an Intel MBP 16", make sure to get the 5600M GPU, rather than the 5500 or 5300, especially if you intend to use an external screen.
The problem is that...

Dominic
Uh-oh! Thx for the heads up. Unfortunately, I did get a 5500. Spent this weekend doing installs, may be stuck with it. I do have 8 gb of vram instead of the standard 4, wonder if that makes a diff, better or worse?

Will be a few days before I can test extra displays bc I've not figured out what kind of usb-c configuration to get. I wonder if certain usb-c adapters are a link in the chain to consider that would help/hurt this problem?

BUT, I did run across this article a couple days ago. Says plugging power in on the right instead of the left mitigates a kernel/cpu spike/fan noise issue. I wonder if its essentially the same issue you're describing? Or if there's other workarounds that have surfaced should I get into trouble?

I'll take a look at that macrumors thread and poke around some more to try and learn more, but if anyone has any more insight that might guide my next steps, I'd be grateful to hear about it. I'll also post back once I start to test my situation with monitors for anyone else that's interested...

Ugh. I HATE upgrading. Its always something .