View Single Post
Old 02-21-2007, 12:47 PM

Default Re: UAD Users UNITE!

anytime you use a UAD-1 plugin, whether it be on an audio track, midi track, aux send, or insert effect, etc. - you should use the delay comp plugin on all tracks that do not have a UAD plugin on them.

it is somewhat of a pain - but if you prepare ahead of time, then you will be better off.

here are some tips:

1. setup a "template" with your preferred mix configuration and save it somewhere (i call mine "default").
2. whenever you are doing a new session, open the default one, and use the "save a copy in" (and select all settings other than audio wave copying). doing this will allow you to have your studio setup available to your new sesssion.
3. for audio, instrument, midi, etc. put the uad delay comp plugin on insert #5 (the last one) - you can make these tracks inactive if necessary - but having them in there "pre-defined" is a time-saver.
4. put the delay comp plugin into "bypass" mode, so that it doesn't run while you are tracking a song.
5. setting up some aux sends ahead of time (with your favorite uad plugins) is also a time-saver (just use bypass mode - or make them inactive within pro tools).
6. while tracking, use ALT+Shift+D - to "duplicate" a track (and all of its plugins / settings) - that way you don't have to keep setting up the plugin on insert #5 over and over.
7. if you duplicate a track that has audio on it, simply remove the copied wave audio from the edit window - by selecting the waveform, and hitting delete.
8. when you go to MIX the song (not while recording tracks) - then activate the delay comp plugins as needed.
9. avoid using uad plugins while tracking - they are really best used in the mixdown phase (this rule can be broken as needed - but you will have to deal with the latency on the UAD plugin - so doing it should be avoided as much as possible).
10. put the precision limiter on the master fader as the LAST plugin - if you don't have it, i would highly recommend purchasing it.
11. in general, it is best to use an AUX track rather than a UAD plugin on multiple tracks - you will run out of processing power if too many of them are used.
12. set your pro tools hardware setting to use only 1 Processor for RTAS (if you have multiple cores). this will allow the uad to function without affecting pro tools.
13. use the included uad system monitor to see how much cpu and memory you are using (i'm sure you are doing this already).
14. buy the uad DVD - it has a lot of useful information on it.
15. actively participate in the UAD user forums - post questions there - and read what others are saying.