View Single Post
Old 05-30-2016, 04:53 AM

Default Re: Izotope VocalSynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.a.billington View Post
I do recall the darlek's voice was done with a bit of ring modulation at a speed of around 30Hz. A large part of the sound is the performance however and how you speak into the mic or even yell though it.

The distortion most likely came from overloading the preamp or from tape. I've thought about this a while back and something I would have liked to give a try is passing the signal thre the REDD or EMI TG channel strips and try overdriving them a bit then running it into the Abbey Road tape.

This all might not be quite the right gear, but should give us something that sounds like a classic BBC sound. A lot of the effects were done through older equipment after all since the Radio Workshop ended up with all the ex-BBC Studio gear.

At least this would be my starting point...

Or you could just buy VocalSynth!! Haha!!
Thanks for the info. I do have the REDD and TG12345 channels strips from Waves; don't have the J37 though. The ring mod I have is the Moog one from Avid. I haven't tried this combo together and will have to give it a shot. Right now I can't afford to buy something that might not do what I want. I know Izotope has a generous demo policy but then what do I do if I find out it does the job I want?

QAPLA!