View Single Post
Old 10-01-2000, 11:48 PM

Default Re: Error Message -6042

Alright DW,
i think i can help at least with the PCI bus being busy, and this might actually help out with the power problem.

alright I noticed in another post dealing with different hardware profiles, you didnt know what it was, so i am guessing your system is not using it. basically using a different hardware profile you are able to streamline your system so that only the things you need to use will be loaded, and everything else in the system will basically be ignored. Well reading from your system information, you have a lot of stuff loaded up in your computer. a lot of which you dont really need, or even would want loaded while pt is loaded.

The 001 is a host based system. This means that it uses your processor to process the sounds. Well as you can tell for the 001 to work the 001 has to send a signal via the pci bus to the processor which then sends it to the disk drive, and this process basically monopolies the pci bus. So if you have other cards (especially host based cards like most creative cards) they will not allow the 001 to use the intire pci bus bandwidth resulting in pci bus busy errors.

Well i would highly recommend creating a different system profile and take out things you wouldnt use if you had an 001 based system. i would definately take out the lan card, the modem, the sound blaster(unless you are using it for midi stuff, but this definately causes problems with the 001), and probly (if you can) the ls 120 drive. you can have many different profiles so you wont be removing them in your basic config, but you will have a new pt config that will significanly improve performance.

The reason i would recommend disabling the ls 120 drive is because you may not have enough power (even with the 300 watt power supply although i am not entirely sure) to run 2 hard drives, an ls120 drive, 2 cd type drives, extranious pci cards, and the 001 which runs off of the systems power source.

sorry for such a long reply, but i figured an explanation for my methods would help.

Christian