View Single Post
Old 11-26-2021, 01:46 PM

Default PC build help/suggestions on components.

Greetings community!

I've been using Ableton for quite a long time and went from studying finance to practice the wonders of audio production/mixing & mastering, which is way more satisfying (and enrolled in a sound focused degree, where we have practiced working in a studio environment using AVID S4/6 controllers and Pro Tools Ultimate paired with fantastic Genelec speakers). Since it's Black Friday, I've been saving money to finally buy a home setup (which none of my teachers probably recommend). Regardless, I have zero experience in PC builds, but have done quite a bit of research and thought it would be a good time to invest in what I am passionate about. So setup would mainly be for audio production, video production secondary (probably will be using after effects) and budget would be around €2000.

I intend to mainly build this PC for audio work (Pro Tools normal version, not ultimate + have older versions of Ableton). Some live recording, but try to sound proof my room for mainly mixing.

From the great deals I found, I managed to get hold of some KEF R3 speakers (that according to reviews, are great for sound reference - depending of the sound proofing of the room ofcourse).

I managed to get two 16GB (2 x 8GB) AORUS RGB Memory, DDR4 3333MHz, CL18, 1.35V on discount so 32GB should be good for RAM (64GB overkill since I won't be getting ultimate?).

As for other components:

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900k (€396) or an another model with higher single thread performance? AMD Ryzen 7 5800x (€400)? Apparently this AMD model has faster single, dual, quad and octa-core speed.

Graphics card: (good enough to run everything smoothly, don't need a high end one).

Motherboard: Z390 Aorus Pro WiFI ATX (€248) or any other suitable (for Ryzen or anything you have suggestions for).

RAM: 4 x 8GB (32GB) AORUS RGB Memory, DDR4 3333MHz, CL18, 1.35V

Storage 1: ?

Storage 2: ?? - Will look for good deals on storage - Atleast 1TB Solid State Drive

Power Supply: ?

CPU Cooler: ?

Case: Was thinking about the !be quiet series.

I also have a Steinberg UR22mkII audio interface I got with my MPC3000 and will hook up my turn tables, MIDI synth (my Strat guitar + bass) and stereo amp with the passive speakers. Any help is greatly appreciated as I feel like I'm getting lost in the number of tabs I have open researching this topic. Thank you all for your time and help - Happy weekend!!

Kind regards,

FL3GS (=Flegs aka Frog Legs)

P.s. I apoligize if this post is on the wrong thread - Try to bear with me as I'm new. Thank you again!!