Thread: Back to basics
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2021, 08:07 AM

Default Re: Back to basics

Thank you for basically repeating what I said, but let's focus on the very important point number five.

Once you have treated your listening (treated room and chosen monitors) you need to spend considerable time just listening, listening and listening. You need to get used to what you expect to hear. I love Genelecs and can basically use them anywhere, in untreated room, because I am familiar to how they sound. A real workhorse at least here in Finland. There is no magic wand that lets you skip this step. It is absolutely crucial that you know how your listening environment sounds. Until that all the decisions you make while mixing are 50-50 rolling dice.

Same goes to live gigs. You need to tune your PA with a method that is familiar to you. Untreated PA makes you sound crappy. And in the case of live situations and differently treated PA, the (line level) recording of said gig is going to sound like crap at your treated room so some pseudo mastering is needed to get the recording sound like you heard it in the arena where you tuned the PA in a certain way. It will also help if you have another recording using stereo mic, just to capture the feeling (audience noise can be desirable or disturbing).

Same also holds true when you buy a new pair of headphones. First of all, they need to be "burned in", so out of the box feed dynamic music to them for a week before you start listening. But then you need to be listening with the stuff that is familiar to you. The only way to trust your headphones, again no shortcuts available.