View Single Post
Old 04-03-2015, 10:45 AM

Default M-Audio Fast Track Pro driver problem on Windows 8.1

Hi,

I am experiencing several different issues with my M-Audio Fast Track Pro interface on Windows 8.1. I am using 64 bit Windows, driver version is 6.1.10. As far as I know, this is the most recent version.

The audio interface works best in ASIO mode. I am using it with Ableton's Live, but I intend to use it for regular music playback as well. It is hooked up to two audio outputs: one jack-based to monitors, one RCA-based to computer speakers. However, after most sessions with Ableton's Live, non-ASIO sound used to stop working altogether, until I reinstalled the driver. Rebooting didn't help; I really had to uninstall and reinstall the driver. I did this countless number of times. I had to create myself a new user account to get this sorted out. The issue didn't happen on a fresh new account, and that also sorted out other problems I had with Metro applications.

After I solved that initial issue, sound sometimes started to play with incorrect frequency. When that happens (intermittently, without any direct cause), I have to power off/power on the interface, disconnect/reconnect, change USB port, etc., until it works correctly again. Plugging USB ports at the back of the computer is quite inconvenient. I end up having to try one direction, the other, the original direction again, etc. Having to do this repeatedly because of a bug is quite annoying. The problem seems to happen only when playing through regular Windows audio or DirectSound, no issue with ASIO, at least for now. I thus cannot use the interface anymore except for music creation in Live. I would have liked to use it to listen to music as well.

Even if I restrict my use to Ableton's Live, after each session with the program, shutting down Windows hangs at "Windows is shutting down" prompt or at a blank screen after shutdown. If I wait long enough, the machine reboots and freezes, then I get alarming error message from my motherboard about the anti-surge protection that triggers. That PC works well under Ubuntu, I could even use the audio interface successfully for playback without issues and I don't have anti-surge warnings if I leave this audio interface off, so I would like to avoid trying swapping power supply and motherboard just for nothing.

Did anybody experience similar issues? My friend, who sold me that interface, was running it under Windows 7 with less issues, but he was experiencing the audio frequency problem from time to time, so the hardware might be flaky in the end. But I got no issue of this kind under Ubuntu.

I just don't want to downgrade to Windows 7, because this is a too lengthy process unless I simplify my setup to the strict minimum, meaning no graphic card, no program of any kind, etc. Moreover, since I upgraded from 7 to 8 legally, I may have issues reusing my original Windows 7 serial number. The downgraded Windows 7 may just not activate.

If I really have to downgrade, I am considering the possibility of dropping Windows altogether and switching to Mac. I know Ableton's Live works on Mac OS X and I just saw that there is a M-Audio driver for OS X. Does anybody have positive experience with the Fast Track Pro on Mac OS X 10.10? I would be quite disappointed if I take the plunge and end up with a brand new MacBook Pro suffering from the same or other issues with the audio interface.

Thanks for any clue.