View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 06:10 AM

Default Re: Kick drum miking

I use a Sennheiser 602, sits about halfway between the two heads. My experience pales compared to most who post here, but a couple years back while recording in a friend's basement I grabbed the cheap "mattress" off a nearby futon and sort of wrapped it around the front of the drum kit, about two feet behind the kick drum mic stand. It did wonders for the sound compared to the identical setup without the absorption for both the kick and toms. I used to use drumagog on that particular kick but after this tweak I get what I think are really good kick recordings. I still compress and use heavy eq, and also spend some time in protools making sure it's in phase with the overheads. Since then I've built some 2'x4' absorbers using heavy mineral wool that look more legit and have the same effect. And although not part of the question I've learned never to use clips to hold the mic to the rim of any drum; every mic has it's own stand. Maybe this stuff is elementary to you and if so my apologies.