View Single Post
Old 12-16-2020, 02:00 AM

Default Need Help Comparing Processor Speeds on Older MacBOok Pros

Hi guys,

I had a late 2011 MacBook Pro running PT 12.5 that recently went down due to logic board issue. So I bought a mid 2012 MBP to replace it. Everything works and luckily no compatibility issues with either hardware or software.

My question is regarding processor speeds and ram: the late 2011 MBP was 2.4 GHz processor with 8GB RAM, whereas the mid 2012 replacement is only 2.3 GHz but with 16GB RAM.

So my question is: how does one compare this with regards to speed and performance in Pro Tools? Specifically:

How noticeable a difference in the processing speed/power between the two, given there is only .1 GHz difference (and assuming the 2012 processors were somehow better or upgraded from the 2011 - I don’t know for sure)?

Will I notice the .1 less GHz in the 2012 model when using Pro Tools? Or would the added RAM (going from 8-16GB) make up for this slight downgrade in processor speed?

Also, if I were to find a 2.7 or 2.6 GHz MBP of the same mid 2012 model and exchange it, would I see a noticeable difference in performance in Pro Tools between the 2.3Ghz version we just acquired?

Thanks for any insights!