View Single Post
Old 10-29-2021, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Crunchy distortion with 002 rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw88keys View Post
OK, I think it is finally time for a new interface to replace my faithful but aged Digi 002 rack. I would very much like to know your favorite 8 in/out Firewire 800 model. There is a lot of experience in this community that I respect and hopefully can guide me in this. Would like to stay under $2K but quality is the key. Running Windows 10 and PT 2020.7 (about to go to .10)Thanks in advance! Kent
Just to be clear you say 8 in 8 out, but do you need ADAT or S/PDIF etc. And is that 8 mic preamps or line in do for some? How many (independent) headphone outputs needed in the box?

I would start by encouraging you to get off Firewire, it's ancient. You are likely much better served with the choices available with modern USB interfaces. What USB and other (Thunderbolt?) connectivity do you have on your PC? Can you describe the PC or post a Sandra report.

Is hardware monitoring in the interface important to you? i.e. do you rely on "low-latency monitoring" in the 002 rack today? Or do you run with small enough IO buffer size with the 002 to software monitor? And want to do that in the new interface?

The other thing you can do is look at some vendors like Motu, Focusrite, Presonus, and just see what they have on offer. Browsing Sweetwater is a good place to start. I like UAD stuff as well but it's above your price range here, and I'm hesitant to point people there unless they already are UAD plugin users/understand that trap

If you want 8 great mic preamps you might want to be willing to increase that price range a bit. But define "quality is key"... and OTOH there are great value for money options out there like the Focusrite Clarett+ 8Pre USB-C. 8 mic preamps and 10 line outs and ADAT for <$1k. And the preamps will be better than your 002 (or I'll eat my hat).