View Single Post
Old 07-05-2014, 12:22 PM

Default Re: New Mac Pro - is a Keyboard - just a keyboard ? ..., and Shortcut Covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavoBali View Post
I like the idea of getting a trackball mouse , my friend had one ( bluetooth model , not sure of type) and it just makes sense to me because I am always running out of room with my mouse and have to keep picking it up and re positioning it. Plus its not good on the wrist (ie; my regular Mouse) after many long hours on the computer.

The 2 Trackball Models so far (from online research) I am interested In are.........,

#1 ; The Kensington Slimblade Trackball
#1 ; The Kensington Expert Mouse

Heres the link for both these Trackball Mouses ;

http://www.kensington.com/us/us/4493...s#.U7fJovmSxSk

I very much doubt I can check one out in Bali , Id have to get one posted from overseas I imagine .

.., but from watching you-tube clips ,

- Negatives for expert mouse was I noticed the buttons and scroll wheel were rather noisy (not good if you were tracking in the studio on P.T)

......, where as the slimblade seemed to have much quieter buttons and got rid of the scroll wheel by turning the ball like a dial (L & R) to mimic the function of the expert mouses scroll wheel .

I could only compare the button noise from videos and not side by side in person ?

- Pluses for the expert mouse was it seems there is an optional wrist pad , but the slimline seemed lower to the desk , so maybe having the wrist pad might be unnecessary in comparison between using either of the two.

The 4 programmable large buttons on both mouses also seemed a good feature , as does the very large size of the Ball itself , its almost billiard ball size .

Does anyone have any experience with either of these with pro tools use, and care to comment
Like I said - I have the Kensington Expert Mouse (really a large trackball). Yes, the buttons are a bit loud but then again I don't track acoustic instruments in the same room as the computer so that's not an issue. The wrist pad is not an option as it comes with the unit; you can attach it or not as you please.

The 4 buttons are quite good otherwise and you have not just 4 possibilities but 6 as the top two and bottom two buttons are chordable meaning that when you press both top buttons together you can get a fifth programmed operation and when you press the bottom two buttons you get a sixth programmable operation. The customizations for the buttons are not program specific meaning you can't have one set to work in PT and another to work in say Word. You do need the Kensington driver software and I don't know if it's been redone to work in Mavericks though.

Oh yeah - getting back to keyboards - the cable on the wired Mac keyboard is short; about 3 feet.

QAPLA!