View Single Post
Old 10-13-2006, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Recommendations needed for Protools training

A good employer will not rely on paper alone.... You must test that prospective employee, otherwise you are wasting your time. A good example is my current day job in federal law enforcement. It currently requires a 4 year degree, although I don't have one(Long story). When I went to my academy, people with 4 year degrees, and in some cases, masters degrees, were struggling and failing tests that I passed with ease. That just goes to show, that 'paper' isn't everything. When I worked in the studio biz, it didn't matter what school you went to, or what you were certified in, you had to prove yourself "in the mix", if you will. I was thrown to the wolves when I started, and I did fine because I knew what I was doing. Sure, there are some businesses out there that will 'require' you to be certified. Mainly, that is a tool to weed people out and thin the ranks. Which is the same case with my day job. And, frankly, I find that to be a crock. Anyone can go to school and get certified(Or get a degree), but only those who truly want it will truly learn how to use it, by any means necessary! I intend to open a full blown multi-media studio in the next 5 years, with law enforcement applications as well as music and television/video capabilities requiring extensive knowledge of Pro Tools, Bias Peak, and Avid software. I have no intention of requiring prospective employees to be certified in anything other than themselves and their knowledge of the equipment and how to properly employ it !!