View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 06:39 AM

Default Please help me understand how Core Audio Manager works with other applications

Sorry to be posting over here, but nobody can help me in the Native forum. My many years with a TDM system has earned me one more post in my old home.

I am having a big problem with my audio not syncing with video being played in QuickTime Player. I have created QT movies in Final Cut Pro that play fine on other computers, but not on my Mac Pro that has my Pro Tools HD Native installation.

I just opened DigiDesign Core Audio Manager and it says:
Connected @ 44.1K, 32 In/32 Out, Buffer Size 512

Does the application using Core Audio (QuickTime, Final Cut Pro, Wave Editor, etc.) set the sample rate in Core Audio? It doesn't seem like it in my case because the sample rate of the QuickTime Movie is 48K (I know because I created the movie in Final Cut Pro).

My Pro Tools system clocking is set up with an external clock:
Lavry Gold A/D --> Digital I/O #1 --> Digital I/O #2, with Lavry Gold the master clock and Digital I/O #1 as the Loop Master. The Digital I/O's feed Lavry DAC's. At the moment the sample rate set on the Lavry Gold is set at 48K.

How is sample rate made to be consistent when:
(1) Pro Tools is off
(2) an application like QuickTime is sending audio thru Core Audio --> Native card --> Digital I/O --> Lavry Blue --> speakers?
(3) I have an external master clock?

As you can tell, I am guessing the sync problem is related to sample rate, although I may be wrong.

Please help me understand how the Core Audio/Native card/Digital I/O's system functions.

Thanks!