View Single Post
Old 09-16-2015, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools never works (PT10 on Windows 8.1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizziF View Post
Every time I finally get this program to work, the next time I start my computer I have problems with it again.

I just reloaded PT 10.3.9, uninstalled it, and loaded 10.3.10. Still no sound. At least I can see the levels showing sound is being made, but it sure isn't coming out. And? PT 11 was working, but now I just get white noise instead of the piano that should be coming out. I am taking a class that uses Pro Tools 8 or I would chuck the whole thing.

I am running on a Windows 8.1 machine. Not much choice. The old one died and 7 or 8 wasn't an option. It does have plenty of RAM and an i7 processor. I have Asio4All installed.

And it was working until stupid Windows overrode my don't update options. I backed out of options until it was working again, but now it isn't. I hate this program with a passion. I even broke down and bought Cubebase.

Is there a way to make Pro Tools work consistently besides buying a Mac. Shutting down the computer should not cause the program not to work, but I can't figure out what else causes it to work and then not work.

Thanks
Have you double-checked your routing in Pro Tools from the menu: Setup -> I/O -> Output? Also, in the Asio4All control panel, is your sound card properly selected in the device list? As an aside, I will add that using Asio4All should be your very last resort. It's fairly common to see it on laptops, but Pro Tools 10 can be kind of flaky when using it because it's just a generic audio driver. If possible, I would consider getting a dedicated USB2 or USB3 audio device that has its own ASIO driver since you'll get much better stability and lower latency results than with Asio4All. A good starting point would be Focusrite or PreSonus as they make some very affordable devices with solid driver support.

As already mentioned, you're probably experiencing some unexpected results of PT10 not being fully compatible with Win8.1. If you're losing some settings on startup, then trashing your Pro Tools preferences could help. It's possible that the file got corrupted somehow. Anyway, if that doesn't help and you're still up for some more troubleshooting, then you might want to consider going the other direction and trying some earlier versions of PT10. I don't remember off-hand, but I think people generally had good results when using v10.3.2 or v10.3.4. I think v10.3.4 was the most stable version I've ever experienced on Win7. I'm currently using PTHD v10.3.9 and if it weren't for the inconvenience, I'd probably roll back to v10.3.4 myself.

Another thing to consider when installing PT10 on Win8.1, try running the installer in compatibility mode for Windows 7. I think if you right-click on the installer, go to "Properties" and then the "Compatibility" tab. There should be a checkbox that accesses a dropdown menu for the previous versions of Windows that you want to emulate when running the installer. (Be sure to "Apply" those settings.) Finally, before running the installer, right-click on it and select the option to run it as an "Administrator". I'm not sure if this will make a difference with PT10 on Win8.1, but anything's worth a try at this point.

If all else fails, a cheaper option to switching computer platforms would be to give PT12 a test drive. However, since you've already invested in Cubase that's not a bad choice either if you're comfortable with it.

Good luck!