View Single Post
Old 08-28-2015, 06:51 PM

Default Re: S-3 vs D-Command

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Today I go buy a $5000 S3. I buy to use with my current version of ProTools HD 11. I never had any intentions whatsoever of joining any support plan in the future. So I will not get any updates to my S3 to be used with ProTools 11 going forward, after the day I buy it?
You wouldn't necessarily need to jump on a support plan as the option to purchase the latest software is still there. Although I take it that's not a option.

I think the easiest way to understand this would be that with any DAW manufacturers be it Pro Tools, Nuendo, logic etc its logical for them to invest more time on the current software version implementing new features etc moving the companies software and hardware integration forward.

For example Logic no longer has updates for 9 but has for X so users have the option upgrade to stay current or move to the latest release.

So with regards to EuControl it would be understandable if there will be more control implementation added in the future for Pro Tools 12 over 11.

To stay current with the latest features this is where the support plan would come into play as the latest Eucon Control is most likely going to be based around the current version of Pro Tools.

Regarding 3rd party DAWs this would be for them to work out from what new features become available in each EuControl Version.

So as things move forward you may wish to update your Pro Tools version to take advantage of new EuControl and DAW feature implementation as things progress.

Pro Tools is always going to be ahead of the others with regards to Eucon functionality as we know its primarily developed for use with Pro Tools then 3rd party DAWs do what they do.

I'd expect if you see new features added to 11 then S3 being a supported surface will control them and the latest Eucon build will apply to you.

However.

As and when Pro Tools 12 has new features added we know the S3 will support them I guess it's just down to if we will see anything new added to 11 that the S3 will control ?

The above is speculation on my part though.

I'm a 12 user with no issues however if I was in the situation that I felt there was features I was missing out on I would either purchase the software or jump on the support plan.

Another example of what's going on with EuControl is that it's used for PTC and that's only for PT12

What updates do you currently feel the S3 needs to control PT11 ?

Idea scale would be a good place to post them with a follow up post on the forum here asking people to go vote on it.

Avid S3
Artist Transport
Pro Tools HD 12
UAD Apollo 8P
Audient ASP 880
Mac Pro TrashCan
3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32GB ram
Adams A77x
UAD Quad Thunderbolt Satellite