View Single Post
Old 07-02-2005, 04:58 AM

Default Midi Timing Delay Sync Issue: MTC Sync

Here is my issue. There is a noticable playback start delay on a second computer with Cubase SX3 which is the slaved/synced using MTC from the main computer which is the Master computer running protools.

Here is a little more on my setup. I have one computer with Protools LE 6.7 which is the Master computer (Music XPC C2 standard with 1 gig ram). I am using midi cables using MTC to sync with a second computer (Music XPC C1 standard with 1 gig ram) which I am running Cubase SX 3. I am using Cubase as a host application to run various VST soft synths, rewire/reason, etc...it is used for alot of the audio processing of this stuff. The midi cable goes from the digi002 to a midi patch bay and then out to the input of my RME Digiface which goes into the Cubase computer.

The computers are syncing up correctly, when I hit playback in Protools, Cubase SX will also start to play back. The problem is that it starts playback with a slight delay on the slave computer (cubase computer) (I'm not sure how to measure this delay to quantify it for you. But it is very noticable. I'm kind of new to all this...if you haven't noticed).

My question is this. From what I know regarding Midi, it is a preety slow serial protocol. It is slow to begin with. Given this, is this delay a normal occurence given what I am doing? If not, any suggestions on what might be causing this delay and how to remedy? If it is a normal event, is there a "best practice" to follow so that I can compensate for this delay in Protools or Cubase?

Thank you so much for your patience in reading this long, drawn out question.