View Single Post
Old 03-26-2021, 12:37 PM

Default Re: +4/-10 button usage

I'm going to look into how you add the digital gain to tracks. That's gain staging, correct? I'm glad you mentioned that! :)

I think I might get the DBooster. I've seen some videos online that show the difference with and without, and it seems to be worthwhile.

I'm also going to contact Cascade to make sure I have passive mics.

I really appreciate the help! Thanks, Darryl!

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
No you should argue. Doh yes right you are, sorry I was thinking Inputs and wrote Outputs. And oops the Front Panel Combo connectors are Mic on XLR and DI (not Line) on Phono. I had to look at a photo again.

It's obvious when you look at the back of the Mbox 3 Pro where the buttons are. But again the 4/10 buttons only affects those line level inputs not the Mic Preamp inputs.

BTW a handy resource which is little hard to find on the web is this Mbox 3 Family Technology Guide which shows the preamp/DI/line circuit schematics. http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor...uide_70405.pdf

The obvious difference is the switchable two gain settings in the DBooster. They are nice and quiet, I don't have side to side comparisons to noise etc with a CloudLifter. If you can borrow a DBooster, CloudLifter or similar sure try it out with this setup. But don't fixate on having to record hot, you can always add huge amounts of digital gain later in Pro Tools... and you don't want to clip with the large dynamics of a trumpet.

You just run a standard XLR-XLR mic cable from the interface to the booster and have phantom power on... and then another standard XLR-XLR mic cable from the Mic to the booster. The phantom power powers the booster amp, but it blocks any phantom power going to the Mic.

You will almost certainly have the passive model if the doc does not say active. Lowish output is expected, but obviously with a horn you can also drive a close mic fairly hard. Nice choice of mic to let you play with room sound as well.