View Single Post
Old 09-24-2006, 10:45 AM

Default Re: APPLE MAC PRO or The Allenstein \"Quadzilla\" Ma

@marspe:
Yes, it is true. This is due to the Mac Pro/Intel architecture; when using only 2 sticks of RAM (default config), the full 256-bit wide path is not in use. One must populate 2 slots in both the top and bottom risers for RAM to have this. The difference for Pro Tools was pretty drastic (comparitively). Interestingly enough tho, substituting two 1G sticks for the original two 512M sticks (making a 4G total with four sticks of RAM) did not afford alot more in overall PT fuelling power; only another 5 or so Dverbs were afforded.

Yes, Mac Pro compatible plugins are a serious point to consider today. I would venture that (through rumour and dev announcements) now through AES will yield many of the most popular plugs to be ready. NI is a notable hold out, with some available now, but most being slated for Oct or later, or never, for release. Be aware of the "never" part; there are some, like Antares with their Tube plug, that have been slated for a "never" release. Also, users of the VST-RTAS wrapper, take note that some of your fav VST plugs might face this same fate.

@those wanting to run XP on Mac Pro:
Caution is the word of the day! BootCamp is a BETA. A public one, and one many have had success with. But, just the same, it is a beta. Personally, I am not lacking in any Mac Pro availability options that are causing me to consider doing Bootcamp right now. It hurts to be missing certain plugins, but each week I find a new one that is released, and it is like X-mas all over again on those plugs! (or, like a birthday, for those non-Santa-ites).

Woodcrest on my Mac Pro is running very cool. Typically, I see the cores on both CPUs idle at about 8C, rev up to about 10-12C during "oridinary use," and when running PT at full stride for several hours at a time, peak temp will see 20C hit at most. I have not ever seen it go over 20C yet. While at the peak of use, with 4 SATA drives and four 1G sticks of RAM, a nice, gentle whir (like a Zalman on low speed) is all I hear. When dead quiet in the room, it is noticeable. But, my Kurzweil K2500XS fan is louder...a good bit louder IMO.

My experience, coming form years of building and running Windows OS computers, has been great. Mixed impression initially, as I found plugins not available, trying to get a hold on a new OS, and dealing with certain aspects of OS X I will never care for (like the complete $#!^box Finder); but, a month and a half later, I have settled in, and am truly enjoying it. Not for everyone, but, IMHO, very much worth considering. BTW- the build quality is stellar. I did not care for the case on first sight. But, after upgrading and adding to this machine, I have never had such an easy time. Hard drives just need a small metal thingy attached to the hard drive, and it slides right in, no cables! Slide a card out, pop RAM on it, and slide back in. Done! Hook up an ilok...no messages about finding drivers or such. Heck, I hooked up my Epson R300 printer yesterday, and sat there for like 2-3 minutes before realizing- DUH! - it had been ready to go like 2-3 seconds after I plugged it in. And there it was! Ink levels reading, print-ready and all. I am even using my favorite mouse- an Intelimouse Explorer v3, with access to all 5 mouse buttons, and after sintalling the Intellimouse software, I even have the same features, such as setting the mouse up differently for each app I use.

YMMV, but I am very happy with my Darth Macintosh
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.