View Single Post
Old 06-12-2008, 02:57 PM

Default 2.5\" SATA in Firewire 400 case Yes or no?

Hi,

I'm running an mbox (original) with 7.3.1 (cs whatever) on a G4 powerbook OS 10.4.9 with Dv Toolkit as my small portable system. It all works great. I would like to be able to run sessions (audio & video) off a 2.5" SATA drive that would be in a firewire 400 case. The specs don't cover this exactly. I know it's not "qualified" but has anyone done this successfully? I generally don't run video & audio off the same drive although it works fine for me on my "regular" size FW drives. I thought SATA is inherently faster than IDE. Obviously the transfer rate is dictated by the FW400 spec, but if sata is reading more data at a slower rpm than could it be 5400rpm sata => 7200rpm IDE in terms of amount of data being read/written? Meaning it would meet digi's drive specs?

I only need a few tracks; no more than 8 at 48k. I would just try it but the only case I can find locally is one I don't really like so I'd rather not get it right now if someone has tried this and it didn't work. (Of course, I need to do this today if it's going to be helpful to me.) I'm going out of town tomorrow and I'm trying to lighten my load.

TIA