Old 10-08-2014, 12:27 AM
Admin Emeritus

Default Previous Avid Pro Audio Blogs

AvidBlogs.com

For official Avid Press Releases, see the Avid Press Room

Q4 2014 Pro Audio Blog Posts:

Pro Mixing: In the Studio with Ken Andrews and Pro Tools | S3
By Tom Graham on December 23, 2014
Want to know what it’s like to record a track from start to finish? Watch our webinar with musical renaissance man Ken Andrews—guitarist and singer for the critically acclaimed band Failure—and see him record a track across several studios using the powerful new Pro Tools | S3 console...Read more

~~~~~

Pro Mixing: How Technicolor Toronto Collaborates in the Real World with Avid Everywhere
By Tom Graham on December 23, 2014
This is part two of our end-of-summer article about Technicolor Toronto and Re-recording Mixer Frank Morrone’s experience mixing ‘The Strain’. Here you’ll see an interview with Frank and other key folks at Technicolor Toronto and why they chose the Avid Everywhere integrated solutions and workflows for post mixing...Read more

~~~~~

Avid Connect 2015: Join the Movement
By Louis Hernandez, Jr. on December 22, 2014
Our inaugural event last year was an overwhelming success. To experience the excitement, Watch this short video of conference highlights. Then register today to take advantage of our early bird discount of $300 off regular admission...Read more

~~~~~

Music: Behind the Scenes of Sibelius 7.5
By Sam Butler on December 19, 2014
Customers have been in touch wanting to know more about what went in to creating Sibelius 7.5. Here’s what we’ve been up to in the last year or so and what we’re planning on next...Read more

~~~~~

Avid Connect 2015: Calling All Experts and Artists—Share your Ideas
By Keli Callaghan on December 18, 2014
The ACA Leadership has been busy planning the agenda for Avid Connect 2015, and now is the time to provide your input on content ideas and speaker nominations. We’d like to hear from you!...Read more

~~~~~

Pro Mixing: Inside the Making of ‘Hypnotic Eye’ with Ryan Ulyate
By Tom Graham on December 17, 2014
I recently sat down with Ryan Ulyate to discuss Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers’ chart topping ‘Hypnotic Eye’ album, which Ryan recorded, mixed, and co-produced. He walked me through the entire process of crafting the #1 rock album—take a look...Read more

~~~~~

Pro Mixing: London’s Top Post Facilities Embrace Pro Tools | S6
By Tom Graham on December 15, 2014
Visiting top London post facilities, I was struck by their incredible modern design and breadth of work. For them, choosing a mixing surface requires complete customization and powerful control with deep visual feedback in a compact format. Here’s a look at why they all choose Pro Tools | S6...Read more

~~~~~

Music: Scoring Success from ‘Independence Day’ to London 2012 with David Arnold
By Keri Middleton on December 10, 2014
Ever wondered what inspires a film composer? How they use their craft to pull in the audience and make them laugh and cry at the right moments? At BAFTA Conversations with Screen Composers, we were lucky to spend time with one of the industry’s most acclaimed composers David Arnold...Read more

~~~~~

Developments in Sibelius Give Blind and Visually Impaired Musicians More Tools to Craft Their Scores
By Kevin Gibbs on December 9, 2014
The path to developing Sibelius as a resource for me and blind and visually impaired composers has been a work in progress since Sibelius made its appearance in the music industry. However, over the years, improvements to the software have been promising, especially recently...Read more

~~~~~

Pro Mixing: Modern Music Mixing with System 5 and Pro Tools
By Tom Graham on December 5, 2014
Some would say that the traditional large format analog consoles have magic in the circuits to produce that hit record recipe. Some have said that a digital console lacks that magic and it’s summing is sterile. But owners of the System 5 and the S5 Fusion would say otherwise...Read more

~~~~~

Tutorial Thursday: Drag in MIDI Patterns from IK Multimedia SampleTank 3 to Pro Tools 11 and Edit with Ease
By Brian Gerding on December 4, 2014
Pro Tools has the powerful MIDI tools you need to edit and arrange your tracks with ease. I’ll show you how to use IK Multimedia’s SampleTank 3, an AAX compatible sample player workstation, to sequence included MIDI patterns from directly within the plug-in...Read more

~~~~~

Music: The Role of the Producer in Music Creation
By Fab Dupont on December 3, 2014
Grammy-nominated producer Fab Dupont and The Arrows work together to take their demo idea all the way to a complete set of recorded audio and MIDI tracks ready for final mixing...Read more

And a new video series:

From Creation to Final Mix
From a Demo to a Hit song: A Journey
Watch the trailer and the first episode of this video series featuring South African band The Arrows and Grammy-nominated producer Fab Dupont as they turn a demo into a hit song with Pro Tools 11.

• Watch episodes 2 to 6 and master the art of creating a song with Pro Tools 11
  • See how Fab and The Arrows work together turning a demo into a finished track ready for mixing
  • Learn how to improve your own demos with production tips and tricks from Fab
  • Download the tracks and produce your own version of this song
  • Share your thoughts in forums hosted by our press partners and enter the draw to win a copy of Pro Tools 11 plus 1-Year Puremix Subscription
  • Listen to how some professional producers mix/remix this song
~~~~~

Pro Mixing: Pro Tools | S6 Software v1.3 Update Now Available
By Tom Graham on November 26, 2014
Pro Tools | S6 owners with Avid Advantage support now have access to the latest software update (v1.3) for S6 consoles. It includes a number of new and updated features, but also improves on system overall stability and network connectivity robustness. Here’s a look at what’s new...Read more

~~~~~

Filmmaking: Why the Pro Subharmonic Plug-in is a Definite Must-Have For My Audio Post Production
By Myron Nettinga on November 19, 2014
I’ve been using the Avid Pro Series since they were introduced and have been very impressed with how they have performed. So when the new Pro Series plug-ins were introduced, I knew they’d be worth checking out. After using Pro Subharmonic, here’s what I like...Read more

~~~~~

AES Los Angeles 2014: McDSP Brings It To Pro Tools HDX
By Jonathan Abrams on November 17, 2014
With nearly all of their plug-ins available for AAX DSP 64, it is clear that McDSP is committed to the needs of Pro Tools HDX users. McDSP founder Colin McDowell talks extensively about AAX DSP plug-ins and what might become available from McDSP in 2015...Read more

~~~~~

AES Los Angeles 2014: Women’s Audio Mission is Changing the Face of Sound
By Jeffro Cohen on November 17, 2014
Did you have a chance to meet our friends from Women’s Audio Mission at AES Los Angeles 2014? They are a nonprofit organization that Avid is proud to help support as they work to change the face of the audio industry...Read more

~~~~~

Filmmaking: Why the Pro Multiband Dynamics Plug-in is a Definite Must-Have For My Audio Post Production
By Myron Nettinga on November 13, 2014
I’ve been using the Avid Pro Series since they were introduced and have been very impressed with how they have performed. So when the new Pro Series plug-ins were introduced, I knew they’d be worth checking out. After using them, here’s what I like...Read more

~~~~~

Congratulations to Our Customers Honored at HPA Awards 2014 for Excellence in Post Production
By Timory Burleson on November 13, 2014
Congratulations to our customers who were recognized for their outstanding contributions made in helping to create features, television programs, commercials and entertainment at the annual Hollywood Post Alliance® (HPA) Awards...Read more

~~~~~

Café Tacvba Tours the World with VENUE
By Angel Ylisastigui on November 12, 2014
Luis Roman, FOH engineer, uses VENUE live systems exclusively for mixing Café Tacvba. We talked with him shortly after soundcheck about mixing Tacvba’s show and how he uses VENUE systems to help bring their music to fans around the world...Read more

~~~~~

Pro Mixing: Music Composers for TV and Film Look to System 5 and Pro Tools to Deliver Compelling Scores
By Tom Graham on November 11, 2014
Music composers have challenging gigs. They have to write, record, and mix a ton of cues. They are on the hook to deliver great sounding scores that match the film and most importantly, what the director is looking for. Read on to learn how they meet this challenge...Read more

~~~~~

Mix and Master for iTunes, Spotify, TV, and More with NUGEN Audio MasterCheck Loudness and Dynamics Tools for Pro Tools 11
By Jon Schorah on November 10, 2014
If you’re using Pro Tools to mix music for streaming services such as iTunes Radio, Spotify, Pandora, and DAB Radio, you’ll find the NUGEN Audio MasterCheck AAX 64 plug-in quickly becoming an indispensable item in your mastering toolkit...Read more

~~~~~

Pro Tools Academic Gets New Cloud Collaboration and Support Features with the Upgrade/Support Plan for Educators and Students
By Andrew Wild on November 7, 2014
Starting October 10, 2014, we have made enhancements to the Pro Tools Academic package in preparation for new features coming to Pro Tools in 2015. Let’s explore all the options...Read more

~~~~~

My 11th Hour Call to Mix at the Paradise Music Festival
By Chant Peck on October 31, 2014
How many times have you been asked, last minute, to mix a band you’ve never heard of, on a PA you’ve never listened too, by someone who has never met you? This is the story behind my 11th hour call to mix the Paradise Music Festival in the Bahamas...Read more

~~~~~

Sketching in Sibelius 7.5: The Finishing Touches
By John Hinchey on October 30, 2014
‘Sketching in Sibelius’ tutorials teach you how to use the powerful built-in features of Sibelius 7.5 to create a sketch of your arrangements. In part four, I’ll show you how to fine tune your score...Read more

~~~~~

AES Los Angeles 2014: Avid Connectivity Partner Source Elements Debuts Source-Connect 3.8 and more for Audio Professionals at AES 2014
By Jonathan Abrams on October 28, 2014
When I interviewed Source Elements in the Avid Connectivity Partner Pavilion at the show, they were previewing Source-Connect 3.8 (now available). There are many exciting features and changes with this release, let’s take a look...Read more

~~~~~

Pro Mixing: SMP Studios Experience Faster Music Creation Workflows for Film and Television with the First Pro Tools | S6 Installed in the Netherlands
By Tom Graham on October 27, 2014
We recently visited Martijn Schimmer’s new SMP Studios in Amsterdam where they cover a wide variety of music composition, recording and mixing for worldwide film and TV projects, with multiple rooms and composers. Martijn takes us inside his world of pro mixing with this interview, let’s take a look...Read more

~~~~~

Master the Art of Music Creation: Electronic Dance Music (Part 3)
By Greg Stryke Chin on October 16, 2014
In this third episode I demonstrate simple, yet powerful, music editing and arranging functions. I consider editing and looping to be a huge part of the creative process, especially for electronic dance music. Let’s take a look...Read more

~~~~~

Sketching in Sibelius 7.5: From Sketch to Score
By John Hinchey on October 16, 2014
‘Sketching in Sibelius’ tutorials teach you how to use the powerful built-in features of Sibelius 7.5 to create a sketch of your arrangements. In this part three, I’ll demonstrate how to easy it is to turn your sketch into a score...Read more

~~~~~

AES Los Angeles 2014: Experience the Power of Pro Tools 11 with Avid Support and all Future Pro Tools Updates/Upgrades for One Full Year with this Special Offer
By Andrew Wild on October 10, 2014
Pro Tools is the industry standard for music and audio post and with the introduction of Pro Tools 11, the most powerful DAW just got more powerful. We want to make it easy for you to get on the platform and stay current with latest developments. Here’s how...Read more

~~~~~

AES Los Angeles 2014: Introducing Pro Tools | S3 Compact Control Surface
By Tom Graham on October 10, 2014
Based on the award-winning Pro Tools | S6, Pro Tools | S3 is a compact, EUCON-enabled, ergonomic desktop control surface that offers a streamlined yet versatile mixing solution for the modern sound engineer. Come see it in action at AES...Read more

~~~~~

Avid at AES Los Angeles 2014: Introducing Avid Pro Multiband Dynamics and Avid Pro Subharmonic Audio Plug-ins for AAX Native and AAX DSP
By Andrew Wild on October 10, 2014
Avid Pro Multiband Dynamics and Pro Subharmonic are two new professional plug-in options from Avid, available in AAX Native 64, AAX DSP 64 and AudioSuite 64 formats for Pro Tools 11. Let’s take a closer look...Read more

~~~~~

Sketching in Sibelius 7.5: Filling in the Details
By John Hinchey on October 9, 2014
This is the second of four Sketching in Sibelius 7.5 tutorials by John Hinchey, producer, arranger, composer and trombonist.
Learn how to use the powerful built-in tools in Sibelius 7.5 to fill in the details of your score to create that clear and concise sketch you’ve been working toward...Read more

~~~~~

On Tour with Massive Attack: Giving a Good Slap
By Robb Allan on October 8, 2014
As ever when you finish a tour you have mixed emotions. Sad to leave your roadie comrades behind, delighted to go home to your family. No more back lounge rider, no more bus bunks. Things we might have improved, things that went well. Definitely feel that we left this tour on the positive side of the reckoning…Read more

~~~~~

AES Los Angeles 2014: Learn How To Troubleshoot Software Issues at this Broadcast & Streaming Media Track Session
By Jonathan Abrams on October 7, 2014
The renowned AES Broadcast & Streaming Media Track is in its third decade as the industry’s best forum for the latest advances in radio, TV, and Internet streaming with top experts in the field. Join us for a special session on troubleshooting software...Read more

~~~~~~~
Bruce Paine
Community Administrator
Avid Pro Audio Community