View Single Post
Old 01-06-2022, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Looping PT+Atmos Suite into consumer Home Theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
I'm just going to be straight forward and say this so i hope it doesn't offend you.

You're overthinking this. It's understandable since Dobly Atmos can be a daunting thing. You're trying to kill two birds with one stone. Utilize your home theater and also have a Dolby Atmos mixing setup. I get it.

Here are the short answers to some of your questions.

Question "And if so, why could you just output a 7.1.4 signal from the Mac/core audio over hdmi?"
Answer - No. HDMI is limited to up to 8 channels of one-bit DSD audio. Or can transmit and receive and encoded Dolby Digital bit stream.

The Renderer does not output a Dolby Digital encoded signal.

Question "Are the output paths from daps limited to some sort of specific protocol?"

Answer "No, there is no protocol. It's a per channel discreet output. If your interface only has two channels then Dolby Renderer can only physically output two channels.

Moving on to DVS.
You're on the right track here.

Dolby Renderer can use DVS as its "virtual interface" for outputs (with latency). This would give you enough channels to send to your speakers.

However, you either need,
A. Dante enabled speakers
or
B. A Dante converter of some sort to change the Dante signal to analog or digital. There are plenty of these on the market.

Once you get the signal converted to either analog or digital, then you need to send that to either your speakers directly or to an Amp powering all the speakers.

Unless your AV received has PRE AMP inputs and can route 12 channels of audio discreetly to each speaker, you're going to need another way.

I've recommended to someone else trying to do this to use a switching device before the speakers. an A/B input switch. It's on a thread here somewhere.

If you're stuck on the idea that you can just use HDMI to get signal from the Renderer to your speakers you're going to be stuck for a while.

No offense taken, this is great. I’m sure I’m overthinking it…or rather I’ve just not been sure about HOW to think about it, so this is clarifying and I appreciate the answers. I’m not at all stuck on hdmi, I just don’t know the ins and outs of how hdmi works, so this is great to learn so now I can rule it out…

Understood on every other point. It’s a simple matter of having 12 outputs, no special protocol.

The receiver in question is a pre/pro, meaning it’s preamps only. And has 14 xlr outs. So covered there.

So assuming I can get it a digital signal to it, I should be good. It has 2 coaxial and 2 optical inputs. A quick google I learned a single coaxial hand only transmit 6 channels, and I presume these inputs can’t be summed into one profile.

BUT, looking closer at the manual….there’s a usb input for “PC audio”….the manual is scant on details, but that sure sounds promising. I’m going to talk to the distributor and see what else I can learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk