View Single Post
Old 06-09-2015, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Cloud collaboration vs real collaboration

It isn't a matter of computing power, it's a matter of how an app is organized and crafted. But the idea that adding tracks in real time should be seamless is asking a lot, and I'm not sure how many apps can do it. And while many apps will let you add plugins seamlessly, if there are latency changes for the plugin (UA for example) that can affect things the track until playback is stopped and started again.

The first response in this thread, in which the poster suggested you simply create a few extra tracks before you begin, is good advice if "vibe" is critical to you. You might also try to anticipate plugins you would might want to use.

You might find an app aimed at jam type of input that works better for your needs. It doesn't need to otherwise be very sophisticated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
So, ok, this is going to come across as a bit of a moan, but yesterday I attempted a kind of "jam" with a guitarist (who incidentally was in the same room as me, i.e. not halfway round the world). I put him in loop record, and gave him just a click track, looped him round 8 bars, with the idea that I'd just start adding stuff as I went along. New track - TRACK PAUSE - vibe killer. New plug-in - TRACK PAUSE - vibe killer. Click momentarily stops, guitarist gets out of whack, vibe killer.

I think my point is this : don't we have the kind of computing power yet where we can just seamlessly add stuff, add tracks, add delays, add plug-ins, take stuff away, while the track's playing, without this damn PAUSE and STUTTER every time you try and change something? Rather than collaborating with someone I don't know halfway round the world, I'd rather AVID found a way to get this stuff seamless and a bit more 21st century.