Thread: Sound Design
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2006, 12:18 AM

Default Re: Sound Design

Quote:

designing is a state of mind, not contest of how many toys you have.

reember, walter murch did "american graffitti" in mono.

(that said, i can be a snob about using good gear. my ears hear the difference and i love using the best. so start with a Sound Devices unit and some Schoeps or Sanken or DPA microphones and collect your own stuff)

you might already have all the tools you need.

Think you would have got reason with ya PT rig - which includes a smapler , and miscellaneous FX units - eq's delays etc... MIDI map a control surface to this and you literally can play the sounds realtime - capture the ones you want thru rewire....

Or you can go for more murchesque solution - like the worldizing as he called it of american gratti sound track - whereby he played tape thru all sorts of speakers and recorded it back...

I think you can go too far with gear snobbery - but this is the DUC afterall alot of the best moments in sound design were mono and on optical.... worrying about whether you door close is 24 bit and 192K and from a 5.1 library is obviously detracting form the real issue which is that if you are doing your job the viewer isn't really aware of it.

it really is a state of mind - you need to look at the screen - what is your character hearing - just because you see a car pass wouldn't necessarily mean you need to hear exactly the sound of a car going past... If fact you can really play with people here - if a sound is in sync with onscreen movement you may move from real to abstract very easily - I would love to do a sci fi film btw..

Having worked on a lot of Chinese movies - both new and old I suspect that there is a cultural difference - we are all in fluenced by our childhoods and what we are constantly consuming - so if you watch a lot of poorly dubbed cheaply mixed shows from childbirth to adult and then decide to become a movie director your expectations of sound may not be as high..

Regarding indian cinema - and I did a documentary last year on bollywood ( sunset bollywood ) it some had really terrific music - and mixed levels of sound design - altho I was looking at stuff going back 30 or more years - I think it may be like hong kong where standards vary widely - and is related to budget - more specifically the length of time given.

20 weeks sounds like a good schedule !

try and enjoy it!

If you need any sounds consider looking at and contributing to freesound

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/index.php

who knows if you ask something may show up.