View Single Post
Old 07-23-2021, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Update 7.3 TDM to 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengineer View Post
Also, Dave, I meant to add, if I upgrade only to 10, I can keep this Mac 1,1 and upgrade to OS 10.6, I've already added 16GB memory.

If I can find an HD Native card, I'll need to get a new cheesegrater to get all the way up to 12. So, I'd be looking at a 5,1, at least 16GB memory.

I had not realized that an HD Native PCIe card would do what I needed. I kept thinking I would need an HDX capable I/O along the lines of a new model 192.

so, more research is required. Thank you!

Ben
The reason I asked about your computer specs is because an early Mac Pro(and 1,1 is certainly early) may not have enough horsepower to run an HDN rig. If you can find a deal on a 5,1 with at least a 6-core @ 3+ GHz and 32GB of RAM, that should do a solid job with HD/Native. This is based on my own success with a 6-core PC(same specs). If you're not married to Macs, a used HP z820 12-core can be had for barely over $1K and those are solid as a rock. 3 years ago, I ran a commercial studio in Nashville with that setup and loved it. The computer was a used z820 with dual 6-core XEON's at 3.5GHz, 64GB of RAM and a GeForce 750Ti graphics card. It ran Windows 10 and PT 2018HD with a pair of 192's and a pair of HD IO's. I tracked 32 inputs and sent 6 stereo headphone mixes(from the sessions) with plenty of plugins with a 64 buffer setting(low latency) day in and day out(I would expect similar with a 5,1 12-core at over 3GHz, but the hp cost me $1100, shipped to my door)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave