Thread: 001 or 002?
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Re: 001 or 002?

As was mentioned Pro Tools LE 6.4 would be the last update you'd get with the Digi001...

However, let me just say that I started about 5 years ago with an Aardvark pro and a cheap Yamaha keyboard... You'll almost always outgrow the gear you buy and really getting into recording means that you'll become really good friends with ebay unless you have a lot of money to buy a great setup from the get go.

The 002 is definitely the newer and more upgradeable of the two products, but it too will one day feel the wrath of obsoleteness. If you're just getting into things, go with what you can afford and what will best allow you to learn the software and the recording process. The 002 offers you more upgrade flexibility, but the money you save with the 001 will allow you to buy more preamps, effects plugins, etc. so you might get a more rounded learning experience from the start. That being said, you can still buy those preamps and effects with the 002, but it just might take you a while to save up the money again.

I have a feeling this summer is going to reveal some new products from a variety of companies, hopefully digidesign included. We're still waiting to see the Digi003 and the new Mbox, so if you're not opposed to waiting that might be a good idea.

On one final note, the difference between 48khz and 96khz does have to do with analog to digital conversion, but as most people will tell you, the actual difference between 48khz and 96khz is not night and day, and you'll hear a much more substantial difference in sound quality with upgraded mic preamps than with a box that can do 96khz as opposed to 48khz.

Hope this helps,
matt