View Single Post
Old 07-28-2021, 04:39 AM

Default Re: *******Don't install the new security update from Apple for Catalina or Mojave***

While I am not affected (since my system is offline most of the time, with small online periods for planned updates) I think this should make AVID, apple and the entire pro audio sector (all of us) think.

Cloud based copy protection means that our systems are either not as safe as possible or potentially incompatible with the latest version of our combination softwares at a given point in time.

Of course, for those of us who work on copyright critical material for clients this means we will absolutely NEED continued support for offline systems with dongles (as long as there is no simpler serial number system in place). A copy protection system for DAWs that needs a steady internet connection has a second real problem other than copy protection server maintenance work or a broken internet connection: online security.

Apple is mentioning that the vulnerabilities they fixed in the x.5.1 updates have already been used in the wild to attack mac systems.
So what do you do when you want to work with your hardware controllers and DAW but also want to use the internet on the same machine?

It's a good sign that AVID has been completely open about the OLED problem and that they are already working on a solution, but maybe we should all take a step back and think about that internet connection to our DAW systems again...