View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 06:42 PM

Default Re: Clicking and Popping Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkle View Post
Im doing some recording using the mbox2 involving guitar/bass into the DI inputs of the mbox. It seems to handle everything fine until i started adding more and more tracks. At first the clicking and popping was only when i was recording with the h/w buffer size at 64, and would then go away for playback when i set the h/w buffer size at the max, 2048. I have roughly 12 audio tracks for guitars, all using the Eleven free plugin. Is there any way to get this to stop? It makes it fairly hard to mix while its popping and clicking all the way through. Also, it is apparently only clicking/popping during playback on the BASS track i just recorded. However the clicking seemed to start during record, at h/w buffer 64, when i got to around 10 guitar tracks. All other tracks seem fine with the h/w buffer size at max. Im running Pro Tools 8 on PC. Sorry i dont have computer specs =/ Any help would be greatly appreciated.
12 instances of Eleven free should not be a problem, even at a buffer of 64. My own Q6600 can do this using only 58% of the CPU at a buffer of 64. Session sample rate will definitely affect the amount of plug-in instances you can run. What is your session sample rate?

Another situation that can affect the amount of plug-in instances is the type of track. Are your audio tracks mono or stereo?

If your mixing, set your buffer at 1024, not 2048. Also, limit your Open-Ended record Allocation to 5-10 minutes: Setup > Preferences... > Open-Ended Record Allocation > Limit to: 10 minutes. That will give your system a noticeable performance boost when your CPU usage is running very high. Playback/Record etc will respond faster.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit