View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 09:56 AM

Default Plug-in noise issue questions using 2.8.5

I'm using 2.8.5 on a Profile and still having some noise issues that I ignored before because I assumed it was the 24 graphic EQ workaround bug (but didn't know at the time that bug was resolved in 2.8.5).

After loading a show file, either no audio passes or there is low level noise on my outputs. So far it has come back to normal with (I think) a plug in rack reset (started to run digitest, then stopped). Problem has been worse lately, perhaps because I'm running more plugs (though there is still a whole DSP card available).

Anyone know how to reinitialize the whole plug-in rack? In the manual there is a dialog mentioned after a console failure, but I didn't see how to make that happen when no failure has been noted. I'm guessing the best way is to hold "Alt" while hitting the "shut down" button to initialize a reset...

On at least one occasion, manually reinitializing (by hitting the big rectangular button twice) a Waves Q10 parametric EQ on my outputs worked to restore signal flow. Hitting the bypass button DID NOT work.

I previously noticed noise when instantiating a McDSP EQ, quite some time ago (I assumed it was the 24 graphic EQ bug), so I gave up on that one.

I frequently notice thumps when I hit the bypass buttons on plugins; is that normal? I like to occasionally add an effect right in the input channel... should it be silent to insert there while no signal is present?

In case there are known compatibility issues, I am using the following plugs:
Waves Gold Bundle (PS22, C1, C4, Hdelay, Hcomp, Q10 EQ);
SPL Trainsient Deigner;
Serato Dynamics;
typical console plugs like Smack, delay, Revibe, lofi, oscilator.

So far it has always come back eventually, but it is a bit unnerving when I bring the house BGM down while switching out of the opener file (always an awkward few minutes anyhow), then I get noise or silence and reset it, hoping it will come to life...

I will run a full digitest tomorrow. I have also been told perhaps RAM is loose or needs to be cleaned.

Any advice?
thanks,
denny