Old 05-12-2012, 03:31 AM

Default Re: Still Using Sound Designer 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by synths View Post
i hear you-
I still use sd 2 to edit choral cd's for rutgers newark-
im crossing my fingers that my mac 8100av with g3 emulator will never die-

still using studio 5 lx for my midi, studio and live patches

it sucks that all of this is not supported- the 5lx is the best midi patcher ever made-

have a question in sd 2-
when recording to it, I mistakingly made left channel right and right channel left-
is there an easy way to correct this other than copying and pasting each channel to a new file?
i would appreciate any help on this, because the project is important and a paying gig
Frank-
[email protected]
I still use SoundDesigner II 2.8.3 (= the latest version) with an AudioMedia III PCI card on a PPC Dual G4 1.25 GHz with Mac OS 9.2.2.

In only use SoundDesigner II for the editing of classical music recorded with a matched stereo pair of microphones (AB Stereo or XY Stereo). Why? Because in the fade window you can nudge the end of the first region and/or the beginning of the second region of the crossfade and preview the changes it makes. This gives you the possibility to create 100% phase-coherent crossfades without any audible artefacts. Sometimes nudging the end of the first region and/or the beginning of the second region by a few samples can make a crossfade sound perfect. SoundDesigner II is the only DAW software that is able to do this, trust me, I tried them all...

It is such a shame that Digidesign did not implement this fade window in Pro Tools, I asked them a zillion times to do it, but it did never happen. Half of the time they did not even understand why this nudging of the regions in the fade window was of such importance for editing 2-track based phase-coherent classical music recordings. A few times I did get the straight answer that 2 track classical music was of absolutely no importance to them. One time Digidesign told me they actually did not own the Sounddesigner Software and they did not wanted to pay a license fee (unlimited in time) to the original programmer to be able to implement the Sounddesigner fade window in Pro Tools.

About your question making the left channel right and the right channel left, this is the easiest way to do it:

- close the SoundDesigner II session
- go to your audio folder and find the 2 SDII split-stereo audio files that end with .L and .R
- name change the .L by .A
- name change the .R by .B
- name change the .A by .R
- name change the .B by .L
- open Sounddesigner II session and the L+R will be reversed

Mac Pro 2019 - 3.2GHz 16-core - 96GB RAM - macOS 14.4.1 - PT HDX3 - Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3.1 - Avid HD I/O 16x16 (x2) - Avid HD I/O 16x16 Digital - Digidesign 192 I/O - Digidesign 192D I/O (x3) - Avid SYNC HD - Apogee Big Ben - Apogee Rosetta 200 - Avid S3 - Slate RAVEN MTi2 (x2) - iConnectivity mioXL (x4) - Genelec ‘The Ones’ 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos Music monitoring (AES/EBU) with 8341A (x5) + 8331A (x10) + 7360A (x2) + 9301B - Almost all available AAX-DSP plug-ins