Thread: iZotope RX9
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2021, 04:09 AM

Default Re: iZotope RX9

I've been through another 5 examples from the same show (again I can't post here, sadly, but I'll forward them on to Support). I didn't cherry pick, just chose 5 random noisy environments usually with mechanical varying noise to see how each fared in Dialogue Isolate. Here's what I found (example 1 is as illustrated in this thread)

WINNERS

1 - jet wash
RX8 (RX9 detected virtually zero dialogue at all)

2 - whine and wash from an electric surfboard
RX8 (RX9 usually better quality, but completely collapsed for one sentence)

3 - whine from a cleaning vehicle
RX9 (RX9 eliminated more background and was better quality)

4 - heavy rattly industrial diesel engine
RX9 (RX9 really nice and clean here, eliminating nearly all the noise)

5 - off-road vehicle
RX8 (Similar to (2) - usually better until it completely collapsed)

6 - all-terrain vehicle
Tie (Very challenging example with a heavy whine ramping up in pitch. 9 generally nicer to listen to, but towards the end lost it and the pitch became overwhelming - at least this could be manually corrected)

While none were quite as awful as example 1, and it clearly won in 2/6 examples, this isn't a good hit rate. A trend seems to be that when it detects dialogue at all, it does sound better quality, and there is less background. However it is overall worse at detecting dialogue in the first place.

Note - all these 5 new examples are similar in terms of battling complex mechanical noise, so it's only one kind of chore for DI. It may fare better at others. Also note - Spectral de-noise works well on one or two of these examples, but the varying pitches means it doesn't work well for the others.

As for Ambience Match, I'm finding exactly what Pro Tool Expert did. I can't get rid of looping artefacts at best. It doesn't work at all if you let it learn a broad selection with dialogue in it, it just chops randomly. And here's the kicker - if you have enough of a clean selection of atmos to train it well... then you'd just use the clean bit of atmos! It fundamentally doesn't do what you need it to, to give it a single mic with atmos and dialogue, and produce a useable and consistent atmos-only output.

(if anyone does want to hear the other examples, drop me a PM).

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM

Last edited by noiseboyuk; 10-17-2021 at 06:04 AM.