View Single Post
Old 11-14-2002, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Learning how to use EQ

As a pro I can tell you, just because a track sounds like it need some high end, don't always boost some highs. Try cutting some bass to see if that helps the track first.

Think of the track having certain sections of energy, such as low, low mid, mid, high mid, highs, adn ultra highs. Listen to see what there is too much of and/or too little of. The more you listen the faster things will come. Try to learn the regions of EQs so you can zoom in to a frequency range quickly.

Sometime if you can do some critical listening, grab some CDs and listen to how each one sounds different from one another. This is due to different instruments, engineers, producers, and mastering. Then check out some genres, like [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] (gulp) pop music
like O-Town, Timberfake, Agulara, and such. They all tend to focus on certain concepts like solid dance style bass and brite, in your face vocals. Use ideas like these to deceide how you want to EQ your tracks by listening to artists you like and trying to copy the EQing you hear. Remember to be yourself too! Do what you like. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I originally learned about EQs by sitting with a 31 band graphic EQ with some CDs and just started boosting and cutting frequencies to see what they did. I understand that most people might not have this luxury.

Hope this helps.

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab