View Single Post
Old 11-22-2022, 04:55 PM

Default Re: m1 running HD for post, 32 or 64gb ram?

Nobody here can say for sure if you *need* it. And it's hard to quickly even tell how much memory your current systems needs to run your current workloads, well not without doing some tests. (unless you have current performance problems that are memory related... then you know you need more but I assume you would say if so).

But not knowing if you *need* something is different from what makes sense to buy. And that would be 64GB. Hell yes. I'd want more but I'll take as much as I can get.

Y'all can't upgrade memory, ever, so get it now.

Don't listen to the confused folks saying you need less memory on Apple Silicon Systems, you should assume you need about the same (maybe more while using Rosetta). Some Apple Silicon Systems get away with less memory because they page memory so fast to SSD. Y'all don't want to be doing that with Pseudo real time/latency sensitive software like Pro Tools. And some of those kiddies claiming all that are now worried about the internal SSD drives they have worn our with all that paging I/O (orders of magnitude more writes than any normal disk use).

And Pro Tools and plugin are only going to keep consuming more memory.

Kinda obvious what the choice should be.

And at least for me I'd be trying to max out the internal SSD(s) and run sessions from there. You cannot get any faster or likely more reliable storage. No idea how you would want to handle video. If there was not too much I'd be putting it there as well. Maybe Studio SSDs will be upgradeable in future, but they are not today, so I'd go heavy there as well because of that.