View Single Post
Old 07-07-2017, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Loudness - short term max?

Hummm, ok. If they´re asking for -9 dbfs limitation is because as you say, they want a mix that can also be broadcasted in a country that didn´t fully adhere to the R128 spec, probably because they´re either on a transition phase or because their TV transmission is still analogue.

It obviously prevents you from doing a more dynamic mix, as -9 dbfs is not part of R128 spec.

It´s still doable, you just need to compress less your louder sounds, as heavy compression increases the integrated value a lot. Just mix things more softly around - 10 dbfs and you´ll be fine. Set a true peak limiter to - 9dbtp on your final bus just to be sure that nothing goes up than that, but don´t squash things too much, otherwise you´ll end up with a reading much higher than -23 lufs.

I would suggest that you propose your clients to deliver two diferent mixes, one for DVD and the other for TV, but probably they don´t want to pay for that...

As meters, I like both Nugen VisLM and Izotope Insight.

I also use an Izotope plugin called RX Loudness Control that I use for offline measurement and ocasionally correction of delivery files. Nugen has a similar product.

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/...s-control.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by fork-media View Post
thanks great Paulo thanks for that! its cleared things up a bit

- I have been recording various shows to take a look at their levels.. and on the whole they are showing up on WLM meter as 23/24 LUFS longterm and *occasionally* 18 LUFS here are there on some punches explosions

but my clients client seem to have added an additional requirement - max level of -9 dBFS. I think they are hedging bets and want one master for DVD and transmission.

I think its doable and perhaps means compatible with older TX systems perhaps?

I wonder if I should get a better meter system - VisLM2?

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3