View Single Post
Old 07-11-2021, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Dolby Vision/Dolby DAPS on a Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
I respectfully disagree. (I was also responsible for setting up Dolby Vision workflows at the company I work for).

Of course if you want to offer the service as a serious business the proper way to do it is to invest into a 1000 nits class-1 reference monitor which is VERY expensive (Sony BVM X300 or similar).

But if you want to play around you can just hook up a good Dolby Vision OLED TV to Resolve Studio and off you go.

There's no need for dedicated Dolby Vision hardware (the hardware CMU) anymore. It's all covered in Resolve Studio.

And the panels are very good (f.e. the LG OLEDs). We have the Sony reference monitors in our grading suites, and the LG OLEDs are actually very close if you calibrate them properly.
As is the new iPad Pro. The display of that thing is really amazing. (We use it for clients to remotely attend HDR grading sessions).
Ah I wasn't aware of that - last time I looked in my copy of Resolve Studio it mentioned a license - good to know.

My point was even calibrating an OLED takes a certain amount of knowledge and an OLED which is reasonably accurate (I know they're great), not something you can just do with a standard display.