View Single Post
Old 11-29-2006, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Help with MIDI setup!

Quote:
This is what I'm trying to or can't do right now...

1. Use my Motif as MIDI controller
2. Hear MIDI playing from a previously recorded Pro Tools session with MIDI tracks. This session was given to be by an artist who recorded a session a different Pro Tools setup.

Right now I simply have the Motif connected to my computer with a USB cable. Do I need Midi cables running to the Project Mix? Forgive me if this is a stupid question.
If your computer recognizes the Motif as a MIDI interface, and Pro Tools recognizes the Motif as a MIDI interface, then you do not need MIDI cables.

For using the Motif to control:
  • Create an instrument track
  • Insert Xpand on the instrument track
  • select an instrument patch in Xpand
  • set the MIDI input of the instrument track to be either "All" or the Motif interface (if recognized)
  • Set the output of the the instrument track to be Xpand (it should be set by default when inserting the first time)
That's pretty much it.

As for playing back MIDI in the other session using Xpand:
  • for each track/instrument of the imported MIDI, you will need a separate instance of Xpand, so create an aux track for each MIDI track/instrument and insert Xpand
  • select an instrument patch in each version of Xpand that corresponds to the instrument of the MIDI track
  • set the MIDI output of each MIDI track to the desired Xpand instance
  • playback
You should problably try this one track at a time to make sure you are doing it right and getting the desired results, but that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12