View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 03:19 AM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco
Default Re: Eleven Rack Only Recording Dry Guitar Signal no FX

Jumping in here, not sure if I missed something. But I'm currently using an RME Fireface 800 + 11Rack. 11R is is set to external, which banks off the Fireface's clock. USB is plugged in all the time, no problems. And I believe most of the routing/clocking in the Babyface will be handled by the built in drivers that appear when you plug the unit in, as it is with the Fireface.

The Babyface's clock should be set to master. As long as both SPDIF connections are made, and the Babyface is turned on first, the 11R should be able to latch onto the Babyface's clock.

Regarding recording the dry and wet signal coming from the 11R, for this I usually have the 11R Digital Output set to Split In/Out. That way on the stereo SPDIF output the left output gets the wet and the right gets the dry, I think. Could be vice versa. The Fireface sees this as two mono outs anyway, and I always record guitars in mono. Just set up two mono tracks, given that the Babyface is the main interface, and set the inputs accordingly. In my case, my Fireface receives the 11R's digital output in inputs 11-12.

This is the setup I use with all my DAWs, be it PT, Live, Logic, or Reaper. It should be noted that I always have PT running in the background, no CPU problems or anything like that. I dont know if it is relevant, but when I'm just using PT for the editor, I have the Playback Engine set to PT Aggregate I/O or built-in, just to make sure PT doesn't hijack the 11R in anyway shape or form. It really shouldn't though, because if there is no session open, I don't think it'll mess with the clock. And as long as the 11R is connected via USB, you will have access to the 11R window.

Just my two cents. Also, I'm on a Mac. Not 100% sure on Windows systems.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack