Thread: PT on Quads?
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2006, 03:42 PM

Default Digi we need an update for quad core rtas problems

Having some problems with RTAS and the quad cores - seems to be a combination of Digi and Native Instruments. The handling of multiple cores is not yet done correctly by digi or NI. The warning on the compatibility page covers some of the rtas problem. It is not only related to small buffer sizes as they state however. I am "trying" to run at 96k, I suspect these problems are still present at 44 or 48, but do not cause the same issues because of lower cpu usage, at least at 44 all the instruments run with only slight glitches.

some NI inst's wont run at 96K at all (Akoustik Piano) or with 3 or 4 processors enabled, others will run but the cpu load is so heavy that you can get cpu spikes that cause the machine to simply freeze, no recovery possible needs a reboot. This is probably not helped by the fact that the samples in these instruments are at 44 so they are upsampling within the plugin, hence the heavy cpu load.

some non NI plugins (moog modular, korg, minimonsta) work fine at 44 and 96k.

Bfd can cause cpu spikes at 96k but is ok providing you dont accidentally start two grooves running at the same time in which case it can freeze, but the machine will not. they just put out an update that says "Digi says mac os calls arent working"

Apparently Guitar Rig 2 only works with 1 processor but I have not tried it.

So the Quad core/HD3 rig cant run some rtas instruments at 96K yet. I believe I will have to use 44k and only 1 or 2 of the processors for sessions with NI stuff in them. Digi needs to fix their multiple processor rtas handling, and NI needs some updates, which apparently are being done. What is the use of having 4 cores when you can only run 1? I am actually thinking maybe I should have got a PC as most development seems to now be being done for mac/intel or intel, only. Hopefully these problems will be fixed soon.

also check out this post:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...fpart=1#966703