View Single Post
Old 10-19-2022, 01:39 AM

Default PT GUI laggy - other apps smooth

Hello,

I've been trying to bust laggy GUI issues regarding only PT (the system itself is smooth).
I have an i9 10900k that runs at roughly 30% system usage und current large sessions. The whole system is smooth, 3 displays, 64GB ram, however the PT windows are quite laggy. Scrolling, zooming, all cause a slight lag when executing. Longer with automation lanes viewable or lots of clips on screen.
It also pauses the TC counter and plugin window updates for a short moment.

This lag has always been there in some form on older systems too it seems and didn't disappear when upgrading to this new beast of a system.
Even 2022.7, which seemed to increase it a bit, hasn't really solved it.
The video window itself runs smooth, no issues when zooming etc. It is as if PT itself is internally trying to draw and move pixel information and just doesn't fly doing so.

GPU is an nVidia RTX 3060, 3 displays at full HD 1920x1080 - so nothing exotic.

Does anybody have any ideas?
I've tried playing with ProcessLasso, CPU affinity and processor scheduling, no real difference so far.

What was weird - with Avid support on this too, I tried trashing prefs and restarting. It seemed that for the first few moments of PT, it was lightning smooth. Also I managed to somehow crash the video engine / alt-tabbing between other apps on starting up PT, and something crashed but it behaved smoothly after that. It is as if PT is "pinging" the system in a way to see how to behave - or a sevice starts up that bogs things down.

As I said, I can actually watch Youtube streams, scroll and zoom PDFs etc. while PT is playing back and all is lightning - but inside the PT-app shell, all GUI updates/redraws are slow. Nothing compared to Mac studios I freelance at, they all are lightning fast.

Thanks for any ideas!
Best,
Andrew