Thread: Frustrated!!!
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 01:58 AM

Default Frustrated!!!

Hey everyone!

I purchased a 003 rack earlier in the year with protools 8 LE for my Macbook pro (bought july 2010) with 2.4 GHz i5 processor, 4 GB of ram and a 5400rpm hardrive. I had countless problems with record and playback usually something to do with buffer size. The computer hard drive crashed not too long after buying it, not sure if it was related or not.

But anyway Ive since found out that i should purchase a firewire external hardrive with minimum rpm of 7200. The computer actually has since been stolen and I will have to purchase a new one. I was thinking of buying the same computer and hoping that it was just an external hard drive issue causing the problems before. I was wondering if it was worth upgrading the processor to 2.53 Ghz and putting a 7200 rpm internal hard drive in also wondering if this would improve performance? Also would getting the i7 model macbook pro be of any help with protools? Any advice to specifications would be good. Im at a point where i dont mind spending a little more cash, I just want the friggin thing to work!! Since iv been investigating this also, Iv spoken to someone at the macshop who said I shouldnt run protools on a laptop, only a desktop. Is this true? I hope not.

One last thing, if an external hard drive could be recommended, that would be great as Iv heard also that it must be fitted with an oxford chip or I will run into more trouble? Not sure what models contain this chip so any help would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks very much :)