View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 04:24 AM

Default USB 3.0 compatibility

Good day. I've just bought a new ASUS laptop PC, and everything works (almost) correctly (Pro Tools 10 LE, iLok, drivers etc.) EXCEPT for when I use the USB 3.0 port. My laptop has only 2 USB ports: one is 2.0, the other one is 3.0. I can launch Pro Tools, but I can't properly use it because both the audio interface (MBOX 2 Mini) and the iLok won't work when plugged into the USB 3.0 port. So either the iLok works (and PT starts) but the audio interface does not communicate with the software, or PT does not start because it can't properly recognise the iLok.

The USB 3.0 port works perfectly: I have installed the latest drivers, and the mouse and other peripherals (such as mass storage devices) work flawlessly.

What should I do to solve this problem? USB 3.0 protocol was supposed to be backward compatible with 2.0 peripherals.

Some users on the Internet suggest using an USB hub to "convert" the 3.0 port into multiple 2.0 ports. Do you think this is feasible (and will solve the problem)?

I've issued a support incident request at iLok.com and I'm still waiting for their answer. Just out of curiosity: why is that the operating system or browser I'm using are not yet supported in the drop-down menu when filling their form?: I'm on Windows 7 Home Premium and Firefox 16. iLok.com is still back at Windows XP / Windows Vista and Firefox 3-4-5 (sic!)

Thanks
GS