View Single Post
Old 05-26-2005, 07:02 PM

Default Re:Keys to Success at a Studio (From \"Employment\")

I guess the only fair thing to ask, is how extensive was your resume and references before certification? If we take two candidates with close to the same type, style and length of resume and refernces. Make all other variables equal except that one has been certified by the manufacturer of your equipment/software and the other has not and it is YOUR decision who to hire based on those criteria, which way are you more likely to lean? Remember that it's Your $200,000.00 + investment and carefully cultivated clientel that this person shall be in the hands of.

I'm not trying to put my own answers in your mouth. I would earnestly like to know.

As far as the "Multiple Guess" nature of the test goes, as I recall, there was always at least ONE wrong answer that was very close to correct and a limited amount of time per question to get it right. Which means you TRULEY had to know the answer and nobody gets certified unless they pass with 90% or better (I was 94% on the first try, by the way).

You are EXACTLY correct that a piece of paper compares nothing to "Real World" experience. I believe I stated the same thing at the end of this thread when it was still on the "Employment" board. Which brings us right back to the heart of the issue here, getting in the door to get that experience. I don't want to seem presumptuous. I can be fairly certain that you have worked your tail off to get where you are today. I was a "Tape" guy that left the game to get married and settle down then had to jump almost back to the begining to learn digital. Even my experience with ADATs during that "interim" time was not much help because their VU metering was so close to Analog and a "Plug-in" was whatever you patched into the back or into the mixer... LOL! It's because I left the game for so long and moved to a city where nobody ever heard of me and the work I did 12-20 years ago that I am UNIQUELY qualified to speak on the subject of Interning and the "Value" of Digidesign Certification.

I wish that your experience with the Certification Process had been more rewarding to you. I value your opinions here because there are always three sides to every story: Yours, Mine and the Truth that lies somewhere between.

God bless you all,

Eric

Eric Heil
Angelic Productions, LLC
More Pro Tools rigs than I can shake a stick at...
www.AngelicLive.com
FaceBook Me!