View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 12:08 AM

Default Re: headphones sound better than any type of speakers, have tried everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Well headphones can sound great. What ones are you using?

The 2x12 combo: exactly what combo? And were you going into the amp input or the FX loop-in on that combo?

Its very unlikely you will get decent "guitar amp in a room" sounds from smaller speakers/bookshelf speakers etc. The full range monitors that many of us seem to like is the QSC K10s. I've never seen/heard them but I'd hope the Altos are the best bet of all the speakers you mentioned.

Where are you connecting these speakers/monitors to? main output or amp1/2 out?

Where are the speakers pointed, play with moving things around aiming them at your head, bouncing them off a wall etc. Bouncing them, or partially bouncing them can really help with the "amp in the room" type diffuse sound you get from open-back guitar amps. If they are wedges try laying them down on the floor (that can improve bass response), or try lifting them up off the floor. Try everything.

Try cranking up the volume. A real guitar amp can be loud and many people run headphones louder than speakers in a room and this affects their perception of the sound. That issue is fairly common not just for guitar work.

What exactly is in your Eleven Rack rig?

Stick the graphic or parametric EQ at the end of the rig and play with that. (Make sure main out is rig out not amp out).

Is cab emulation/cab resonance on? (it should be for full range speakers). Play with speaker break up setting to hear what sounds good, that can really help.
hi Darryl,thanks
it's more serious than you might think
i had POD HD 500 before and it sounded better with $150 combo than 11r with $300 PA, but i know that 11r is superior, so that's weird

and i tried to move speaker around as you mentioned

my rig chain in 11r normally is "screamer"->plexi->some graphic eq for some extra highs->a bit of reverb